Organisation and Impact of Sports Funding 2016/2017
The school uses the School Sports Funding of £8,605 along with a further portion of its budget share to ensure high quality physical education and sport is delivered for all of the children which is sustainable and has additional benefits for the children (please see itemised breakdown below).
CM Sports – accredited and checked by Hampshire County Council
All of the coaches who work in the school have their professional qualifications and their suitability to work with children checked and they are on the Single Central Register for the school.
Staff are timetabled to attend/observe and support PE sessions run by the sports coaches, this includes all teachers (x8) and our HLTAs (x2).
The Leadership Team regularly observe sessions on an ad hoc basis and undertake formal observations.
CM Sports also employ a member of our own staff to observe and mentor their coaches in other schools who are using this company.
Activities undertaken throughout the year 2016-2017
|Additional Support||What this does (intended impact)||Cost|
|BAGFA Gymnastics Award for Year One and Year Two (2 lessons per week for each for seven weeks = total of 7 mornings) and badges/certificates||
|Support for other school events, including inter-school events and sports’ days||
|Introduction/motivation to take part in additional sports clubs, e.g. Kurling, multiskills sports, soccer and dance||
|Anomaly Board in playground||
|Staff training and up-skilling and remaining skilled (once a term for each of the ten adults = five mornings each term)||
|Staunton Country Park outdoor activity and den building for Y1 children with their parents/carers (12 children and their adults at a time - run over 5 afternoons in Autumn 1) Completed with a ranger, the Home School Link Worker (10 hours) and one LSA (10 hours)||
|Total budget (16-17)||£8,605|
|Total spend (16-17)||£10,710|
|Carry forward (deficit)||-£2,105|
As a school we value the specialist and consistent approach to physical education that the Sports Coaches provide. We therefore decided some years ago to use approximately £20,000 of our main budget so the Sports company would be able to provide all of our physical education sessions in addition to the above. The impact of this wrap around approach using our main budget and the school’s Sports Premium budget to support this is:
- support in developing, analysing and amending schemes of work
- support in buying high quality resources and in maintaining those we have
- consistency of approach in physical education across the school and across every PE session the children have
- excellent male role models (they also read stories etc at the end of session and are used to support Planned Play at break times for more challenging children)
- high enthusiasm across the school for PE sessions and sports generally
In addition the school feels this ensures:
- that children are always receiving specialist teaching and guidance (as are staff when they go into sessions or observe more formally
- ongoing support for teachers in assessment in these areas from specialists
- access to specialists in a range of areas of physical education, e.g. for dance sessions a dance specialist comes and this is true for other areas too
Looking Forward to 2017-2018
The expected budget is approximately £16,590.
Our current usage of the Sports Premium funding has been reviewed and we intend in 2017-2018 to use the money in the same way as outlined above as this has given us good impact this year. The way in which we use our school budget to enhance this will also be maintained.
In addition to the above we are planning to investigate and implement the following
- funding two additional after school clubs throughout the year - this would be run by the same company and could then focus on interest of cohorts, e.g. multiskills, team games, gymnastic etc
- unding CM Sports to support lunchtime play in order to run high quality and focus physical activity / play
- possibly providing the opportunity to do Bikeability for Year 2 children
- possibly providing funding for taster swimming lessons for Year R